Monmouth County Bus Accident Lawyer
On any given day in New Jersey, hundreds of thousands of people take buses to commute to work or school. Even if you are not a regular commuter, you no doubt have had some occasion to take a charter bus or a similar commercial vehicle like an airport or casino shuttle. And when you step onto any such bus, you are placing your trust in the driver and the company or transit agency that employs them.
Unfortunately, we have seen far too many cases in recent years where people have been seriously injured or killed in bus accidents. And the victims are not exclusively those riding on the bus itself. Other motorists and even pedestrians can be victims of a reckless bus driver or an improperly maintained vehicle. If you are one of those victims and need legal advice or representation from a skilled Monmouth County bus accident lawyer, the team at Poulos LoPiccolo PC is here to help.
What Are the Common Causes of Bus Accidents?
As with any motor vehicle accident, a bus accident can occur for many reasons. In many cases the accident is the result of the bus driver’s negligence. Other times, another driver’s negligence causes them to collide with a bus full of passengers. It is even possible that a defect in the bus itself or poor road conditions can lead to an accident.
Some of the more common causes of bus accidents that we have seen include:
- The bus driver is exhausted due to working too long without adequate rest breaks.
- The bus driver is operating the vehicle too aggressively, speeding to make up for lost time, or making mistakes like failing to stop at traffic signals.
- The bus driver is distracted for some reason and not keeping their full attention on the road.
- The bus driver, or another driver on the road, is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- A critical piece of equipment on the bus, such as the brakes, fail due to improper maintenance by the bus operator.
- The bus is overcrowded, leading to an uneven weight distribution, which in turn makes a serious accident more likely.
- The bus is operated in hazardous weather or roadway conditions.
If you can prove driver or another party’s negligence for causing a bus accident, you have the right to seek compensation for your out-of-pocket losses and other damages. This includes your accident-related medical and rehabilitation bills, lost income and future earning potential, and even your pain and suffering in the aftermath of a crash. An experienced bus accidents lawyer can review the facts of your particular case and advise you on reasonable expectations with respect to these damages.
Bus Accident Lawyers Serving Ocean, Monmouth & Middlesex County
Bus accidents are often among the most serious of motor vehicle crashes given the potential number of passengers involved. That is why if you are one of those victims it is in your best interest to speak with a skilled New Jersey bus accident lawyer as soon as practicable following a crash. Contact Poulos LoPiccolo PC today to schedule an initial consultation with a member of our staff.